Wednesday, May 30, 2012

That's NOT a Knife


"That's not a knife... THAT'S a knife."  -Michael J "Crocadile" Dundee


One Christmas I’d asked for a Swiss Army Knife.  I was 8 years-old, and there was no sweet-talkin’ my mother, her answer was “no.”  I knew I’d have to petition my father; surely he could understand a man’s desire.  It came time to open presents, and I’d opened every-single-one, but no knife.  My father says, “wait a minute,” he goes to his room and brings back a package larger THAN me.  I thought to myself, “I asked for a knife, not a bicycle!”  He handed it to me, and the package felt oddly light.  I ripped off the wrapping paper and cardboard box to find there was yet another box underneath, then another, another, and another.  Though this was incredibly annoying, I began to smile: I just knew my knife lie inside.  It took me about 8 whole minutes to get to the last box that had the Swiss Logo printed on it.  I opened it and there it was: a red Swiss Army knife, with every tool on it a boy could ever need. 

Sometimes if we want something bad enough we need to go to our Heavenly Father.  However, be prepared, his gifts don’t always come in the package we expected. 

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!  (Matthew 7:11, NIV).

No comments :

Post a Comment