Monday, December 3, 2012

Matter of Motives


Actions are visible, though motives are secret.  -Samuel Johnson

Recently I have begun a soul-search, an excavation that I go deeper into my psyche.  I have to be honest with myself: why is it I am really doing what I do?  After a little digging I learned that even a desire to do God’s work can at times be tainted with my own selfish ambition to impress people or to receive the honor that should only go to God.  This is a matter of my motives.  Am I crazy or can we all be like this?  Who do you decide to be friends with, people that have something to offer you or those in need of a friend who may not have anyone else?  Why do you decide to help others? Too often people make deposits in others only so that they later make a withdrawal.  Your reward will come from the LORD.  My prayer for me is my prayer for you: let’s ask God to sanctify us so that our motives are pure, so that we are free to be a friend and help others for no other purpose than being the Christian God called us to be. 

Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the heart (Proverbs 21:2: ESV). 

No comments :

Post a Comment