Tuesday, December 4, 2012

They Be Creeping


“Reputation is what men and women think of us; character is what God and angels know of us.”
-Thomas Paine

If you were to creep (look at) my Facebook then you’d learn about me based upon the image I project: my reputation.  Like most people I usually post pictures that I look my best, and I update my status only if I think I’ve something intelligent to say.  Now if you were to film me for a week without my knowing (then you would really be a creep in the truest sense of the word!), but you would likely gain a better sense of who I consistently am: my character.  By the grace of God I hope that what you would see on Facebook is what you would get on film, but God knows (because He is omniscient and omnipresent) there would be moments I would not look my best or speak intelligently.  As Christians we not only project an image of ourselves, but we dually project the image of God.  As C.S. Lewis says, we must be “little Christs.”  Others will rightly or wrongly judge God based on how they perceive you and me. They be creeping!  A good reputation stems from a good character and thus our private lives must parallel our public lives.

A good name (or character) is to be chosen rather than great riches, and favor is better than silver or gold (Proverbs 22:1, ESV). 

No comments :

Post a Comment