Saturday, April 20, 2013

A Big But


“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.”
 -Epictetus

Too many people say to themselves, “I wish I could, but…” The progression of that thought ceases in its tracks, because they think it’s too late to be what they might have been.  They have a big but.  “I’m too old,” or “I don’t have enough money,” or “people will laugh at me,” and “I’m not talented enough.”  Have I identified yours?  Subsequently they are exactly who they have always been, completely dissatisfied and sometimes even cynical.  It’s natural to have some regrets in life, but the right question is not what could you have done in the past; rather it’s what are you going to do now?  Everyone has failed at some point, which could become an excuse, but it’s what you do because of those failures that breaks or makes you. 

So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin (James 4:17, ESV). 

No comments :

Post a Comment