Monday, May 13, 2013

Out of Coffee, Out of Luck


“I don’t want to be at the mercy of my emotions.  I want to use them, to enjoy them and dominate them.”  -Oscar Wilde
I rummaged through the kitchen cabinet, but there wasn’t a single coffee bean to be found. “My morning is ruined, now I have to go to the store,” I thought.   Moments later I found coffee.  I use this petty illustration to illuminate a larger truth: Because everything did not go according to my plan, I almost let this steal my joy.  Perhaps today a snarky person smarts off to you, or you have to sit in traffic an hour longer than expected.  As Sir Winston Churchill said, “Stay calm and carry on.”  Ask Christ to help you keep your cool, deciding nothing will steal your joy.  
Whoever is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city (Proverbs 16:32, ESV).  

No comments :

Post a Comment