Friday, June 7, 2013

Just Love God


The wrong way always seems the more reasonable.  -George A. Moore

Navigating from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv, I needed a plan.  I spent an hour coordinating a bus route that would get me to a train that would get me to another bus that would get me to my destination.  Within minutes of setting out on my journey, a local explained to me that I was doing it all wrong!  I could simply take one bus straight to my destination.  This way was less expensive and more time convenient.  So that’s what I did.  This got me to thinking: How many people spend their time trying to get closer to God the wrong way?  They try to earn God’s love through their own plan of being “good” (according to their standards), but when they fail they feel miserable.  Realize that not a single one of us can possibly be “good” enough to earn God’s love, because we would have to be perfect.  God has made an easier way for us: simply accept the love He has freely given us through Jesus, so that we are free to love Him back.  When you shift your focus from being “good” to reciprocating God’s love, then goodness will happen a lot sooner, and so will you being closer to God.  Just love God. 

Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love (1 John 4:8, NIV). 

No comments :

Post a Comment