Wednesday, June 12, 2013

My Bad, Bro


“There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.”  -Brad Pascal

While I played football in high school I acquired the ability to cut my teammates’ hair.  One day my buddy Matt asked me to cut his hair.  I’d always cut Matt’s hair using regular scissors, but this day I decided to use electric clippers to expedite the cutting process.  As I clicked on the clippers, hearing the sound of “BUZZ,” before I could blink the attachment comb (the only thing keeping Matt’s head from baldness) fell off, and so did a gaping chunk of his hair!  Dumbfounded for a couple of seconds that felt like eternity, I cringed in horror.  Awkwardly I chuckled, “My bad, bro.”  Matt’s hair might have looked the way our hearts do at times.  Your expectation might have been that by trusting someone else, essentially giving that person a piece of your heart, they would protect you.  Instead when they left you, you feel like they took a piece of your heart with them, leaving a vacuumed sized hole.  What Matt learned is that over time hair grows back, and by God’s grace, so can our hearts!  The lesson to be learned is: no matter what we go through we must fill our hearts with Jesus. 

Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life (Proverbs 4:23, ESV). 

No comments :

Post a Comment