Friday, August 30, 2013

A Posture of Learning


The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” -Dr. Seuss

The church that I work for hired a yoga instructor to come help our staff become healthy, so yesterday I participated.  Being the yoga snob that I am (I’ve been to a few other classes), I thought that the loud 80’s pop music clashed with what I’d expected a yoga class ought to sound like.  I’d always heard eastern music.  Slightly irritated I asked, “Can we turn the music down? I can’t hear you.”  The instructor smiled and agreed.  Even if at first the music felt like a distraction, as we proceeded through the class I learned that the instructor was the real deal.  I even learned a new arm balance pose!  Immediately I felt convicted, “How often do we tune people out (and also the wisdom that they provide) just because we don’t like the package that they are delivered in?  We may sometimes feel that we can’t learn from someone if they’re too different than us.  And we miss out!  Have a posture that you can learn from anyone. Use what you can use and leave out what you can’t.  

Let the wise hear and increase in learning… (Proverbs 1:5, ESV). 

No comments :

Post a Comment