Thursday, August 1, 2013

Meeting The Pitcher


“Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire.” - St. Catherine of Siena

As a child when I attended my first Houston Astros baseball game with my Dad, he took me down to the first base dugout to meet the pitcher, Jose Lima. In Norway I’d played soccer and hockey, but I didn’t yet have an affinity for baseball.  That was all about to change.  Lima smiled at me, gave me a hug, and signed my ball.  Lima lit a fire in me and from then on I became a radical Astros fan.  For the next few years I very rarely missed a pitch.  I memorized batting averages and the pitchers’ ERA.  Before baseball had just been a game that I knew little about, but Lima’s kindness made the game personal for me.  Likewise, don’t underestimate your own ability to impact someone to come to faith in Christ.  It may be as simple as an encouraging word, a smile, a hug, and a prayer.  Believe that you are the chosen vessel that God will use to make a difference. 

Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works (Hebrews 10:24, NLT). 

No comments :

Post a Comment