Saturday, August 3, 2013

Utilizing Constructive Criticism



“To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.”  -Elbert Hubbard


Currently I’m writing a thesis to complete my master’s degree.  Thirty pages in, I know that when I edit the thesis myself, often there are grammatical and fluency errors that I overlook.  Most good writers need a good editor.  This is why I let a few of the people closest to me help me.  Those extra pairs of eyes point out the flaws that would otherwise go unnoticed, and they provide constructive criticism so that my thesis becomes better than ever!  Similarly we need people in our lives that will point out when we aren’t seeing right, illuminating when we say or do things that we shouldn’t.  If we hold ourselves accountable to these people, God can then use them to provide the constructive criticism we need to help us be the best we can be.   

Better to be criticized by a wise person than to be praised by a fool (Ecclesiastes 7:5, NLT). 

2 comments :

  1. I'm working on a thesis project myself, and the constructive criticism got rather annoying. It's good to see this reminder, especially the verse.

    ReplyDelete