Friday, December 27, 2013

Mountain Prayer

To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing.  -Martin Luther

One day while in Colorado Springs I broke away from the Bible conference I was at so that I could find a quiet place to pray.  One of the best ways that I clear my head is by going for a run.  So I ran through the antique town, down a stretch of highway with mountains on both sides of me, and into scenic plethora of red rock hills.  I climbed to the highest point and looked out on God’s creation.  Naturally, the beauty brought me to my knees.  I lifted up my hands and worshipped God for everything and anything I could think of: my salvation, the clean mountain air I breathed, and the family and friends He put in my life.  I may have been at a Bible conference but I never felt closer to God the entire trip than when on that mountain.  I truly felt the presence of the Almighty.  Somehow the great size and vastness of those mountains put life into perspective, and my problems seemed smaller and my God seemed so much bigger! In Scripture, Jesus Himself even needed to break away from the crowd to pray (Mark 1:35).  Maybe your prayer-life has faltered lately, or maybe you’re not even sure if there is a God to pray to—wherever you’re at give prayer a chance.  God is near to all of those that call on Him. 

He went out into a mountain to pray… (Luke 6:12, ESV).



No comments :

Post a Comment