Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Get To Work

Nothing will work unless you do.” -Maya Angelou

I strapped on my football gear and tied up my cleats to try out to be the freshman high school QB.  I only had one problem: Cotton Turner.  He was about a foot taller than everyone trying out, could throw a football more than half the distance of the field, and with more accuracy and velocity than anyone there.  Obviously he was chosen to start.  Disgruntled while watching him from the bench, I wanted the glory but I didn’t know Cotton’s story.  I learned that he’d been the starting QB in middle school too, attended football camps, and he’d put in hundreds of hours of practice!  I learned an important lesson: It’s not enough to want something.  Wanting in and of itself doesn’t get you anywhere; you also have to put in the work.  Later I found an arena that I could thrive in: writing.  People ask me how do I get my ideas to write.  I listen to hundreds of sermons on podcast every year, I read every day, and very soon I’ll have written 600 devotionals.  I put in the necessary practice time.  No matter what God has called you to do, wanting will not be enough.  Get to work!

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men (Colossians 3:23, ESV).



No comments :

Post a Comment