Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Intolerable Impressing

Get someone else to blow your horn and the sound will carry twice as far. -Will Rogers

At thirteen I rode my bike everywhere. One day, I was coasting along when I noticed a pretty girl, so very naturally I poked out my chest, flexed my arms, looked over at her, and kept looking back at her even as I passed her.  (THUD!)  I rammed right into a fire hydrant and flew off the bike into the concrete pavement.  I blinked back the tears as I took an inventory of my scrapes and wounds. Humbly and swiftly I got back on my bike, and the lesson I learned still holds true today: sometimes the harder we try to impress people, the more foolish we end up looking.  We don’t need to give a rundown of our resumes or a long list of our accomplishments when we want to impress others.  There are some people that have a quiet confidence about them.  We hangout with them just a short while, and we recognize that they are high caliber, they have a strong character, and that they are going places or have been places.  No words are necessary, they need no introduction, we just know.  As the Word says, "Let another man praise you." We will go a lot further in life once we do.  


Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips (Proverbs 27:2, ESV).

No comments :

Post a Comment