Thursday, January 30, 2014

Purpose in Your Work

Life has meaning only if one barters it day by day for something other than itself.” -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

At the first of the year I was handed my assignment: The Longhorn Swim Team.  You see in college I was an RA (to the dorms) and although I was grateful for the job, I initially looked at this just as something I had to do, nothing more.  That all changed one night as I walked out into the hallway and found one of the guys crying as his teammates were consoling him.  I asked him what was wrong and I found out that his family member was in their last stage of life.   They all asked me if I would pray.  Mind you I’d been open about being a Christian but had yet been given an opportunity to share my faith with any of them.  That night we all got down on our knees to seek God and by the night’s end they called me “family.”  Some of them even began attending church with me.  That job that I had initially looked at as just something I had to do, over the course of the year I found purpose in as I invested in them.  Moreover I looked forward to it!  That year the Longhorn Swim Team won the Big 12 Championship.  Although I didn’t swim a single lap, somehow I felt that the victory was as much mine as it was theirs.  The lesson I learned was simple: You can find purpose in whatever you do if you really want to. 


Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain (1 Corinthians 15:58, NIV).

No comments :

Post a Comment