Monday, February 17, 2014

Stealing First

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.  -John Kenneth Galbraith

It was my first year of little league baseball and it was my turn to bat.  There was a runner on first.  The pitcher threw the pitch and it got away from the catcher.  All I heard was my coach say “GO GO GO” so I darted for first base and made it without anyone even attempting to throw me out.  My teammate was on second and I on first, or so I thought!  My coach laughed and said, “You can’t steal first base, man.  That’s against the rules.”  Ooops, nobody had ever told me I couldn’t, so I did.  I’d taken a risk and done what no man had ever done before!  While there’s a conventional set of rules to play by to be successful in baseball, there are thousands upon thousands of unconventional ways to be successful in life.  Yet from birth we are taught societal norms, to do what’s safe, because risk can lead to heartbreak.  Sometimes you just have to “GO GO GO.”  Put your faith into action and be willing to take risks to achieve what you initially thought was impossible. When you take the first step, God has the final say. 


No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him (1 Corinthians 2:9, NLT).

No comments :

Post a Comment