Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Voodoo Doll

“Abundance is a process of letting go; that which is empty can receive.”  -Bryant H. McGill

In fourth grade I was a die-hard Astros fan and a little superstitious.  One day as I listened to the game on the radio, Craig Biggio stepped into the batters box.  It just so happened that I had a Craig Biggio Bobble Head so for a few seconds it assumed the role of voodoo doll.  Broadcaster Milo Hamilton said, “Here’s the pitch.”  I swung my voodoo doll and voila, Craig Biggio got on base with a single.  “IT WORKED!!!,” I exclaimed.  I tried again on multiple occasions but to no avail.  I quickly learned that though I can always cheer on Craig Biggio, I had no control over him.  In other words, we can encourage people to do the right thing, but ultimately they will do what they want to do.  Managers learn micromanaging never works, mothers know wayward children will learn some things the hard way, and I know that I can’t force anyone reading this to a stronger faith in themselves or in Christ.  We have to remind ourselves that God is control and He knows what He’s doing.  At some level we have to let go.  Letting go doesn’t hand power over to God because He already has it anyway.  Rather, letting go brings peace and rest to your soul.


Be still, and know that I am God (Psalm 46:10, ESV).

No comments :

Post a Comment