Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Limitation or Liberation?

You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.  -Albert Einstein

The other day I went to Moody Gardens and I visited the Rainforest Exhibit that hosts the most rare animals, reptiles and fish in the world.  As I passed through the butterfly section I noticed the net restricting the butterflies from flying outside the section.  I couldn’t help but think the butterflies wanted to get outside of the net.  As I left the section I saw that just outside the net there are birds that would love to make a butterfly their next meal.  Little do the butterflies know that what appears to be shutting them in is actually shielding them from danger.  Sometimes our minds may imagine what it’d be like if we could do as we pleased, especially if we’re bored and we see people on Facebook living a YOLO lifestyle.  Like the butterflies we often find out (and sometimes the hard way) that there is safety in structure.  While living for God may sometimes feel limiting, we quickly find out that obeying Him is liberating. 


God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble (Psalm 46:1, ESV).

1 comment :