Monday, March 31, 2014

River Walk Hotel

“Trust, but verify.”  -Ronald Reagan

It was spring break and in just the nick of time I chose the only hotel left on the river walk, and for such a bargain too, or so I thought.  I made this purchase after looking at the following caption on the Internet: “Hotel River Walk.”  The attendant over the phone also assured my satisfaction guaranteed.  When I arrived at the hotel, however, I learned the hotel was actually five miles away from the River Walk.  To make matters worse the hotel was located right next to a major freeway.  My expectation was a serene river walk, but at 3am and sleep deprived, what I experienced was a honking horn symphony.  While this may read as an angry travel review, I say this to illustrate my point for both you and me: We must be skeptical without becoming cynical.  There’s a difference: A small dose of skepticism is actually healthy, while any amount of cynicism is toxic.  Give people the benefit of the doubt, but always do your homework. 


A simple man believes anything, but a prudent man gives thought to his steps (Proverbs 14:15, NLT).

No comments :

Post a Comment