Friday, December 5, 2014

Comparison is Poisonous

“Comparison is the death of joy.” - Mark Twain

I was four years old, and my little sister, Nina, was three.   Unfortunately, she beat me both in learning to tie her shoes and in riding a bike.  I felt like Esau when Jacob stole his birthright and his blessing, so in both instances I frantically learned to tie my shoes and ride a bike the same day she did.  Perhaps I actually needed a push, but how often do we allow others' strengths to be the standard which we wrongfully compare ourselves?  It probably happens all too often.  Should a world-class base player compare himself to the top band’s lead singer?  No.  So you shouldn’t compare something you’re just OK at to another person’s strength.  God knew exactly what He was doing when He made you, with all of the talents and abilities you possess, and He did so to accomplish a purpose in and through you.  You are perfect just the way you are. 


I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made… (Psalm 139:14, ESV).

No comments :

Post a Comment