Monday, March 16, 2015

Enjoying The Success of Others

“It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.” –Ralph Waldo Emerson
Yesterday I ran and finished my first marathon; that’s 26.2 miles.  I had prepared as best I could, and I ran the first 20 miles with rather ease.  However, on mile 21 I knew that the last 6.2 miles would be a grind.  That’s when I met Mark, a running coach who had arrived for the 6AM early start time.  I’d run the 7:15AM general start time, and so I was on lap three when he was on lap four.  Mark decided to run an extra lap with me, which put him at 32.8 miles, and I was thankful he did.  His timely running tips and lighthearted jokes enabled me to forget my fatigue just long enough to finish my race. For Mark, my victory was his victory.  The lesson for me is universally true for you: we need friends in our lives that choose to continue doing life with us through good and bad times, and also we need to be these kinds of friends to others.  There’s truly something special that has transpired in our hearts when we have just as much joy for someone else when they succeed as we do for ourselves when we succeed.
Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep (Romans 12:15, ESV).

No comments :

Post a Comment